Friday, 3 July 2015

Selfish Sewing

I didn't sew much this past year.  I won't re-state my home situation other than to say it can be completely exhausting.  Also, I took on a part-time job in addition to my full-time teaching job because i needed to buy a new, used car.

I volunteered as an independent study teacher at work this past school year.  I worked with a wonderfully creative student who is headed off to FIT in the fall to study fashion design.  Though she was brilliant at the artistic initial stages of fashion design, she had very limited sewing experience.  She worked with me after school to learn sewing and to create a couple of costumes based on YA novels she read. Each time I worked with her, I got the itch to start sewing more seriously again.  I decided to start sewing more for myself.

I started with the Liesl and Co Gallery Dress.  I thought it looked like a great piece for fall!  I made the 8 and I am thrilled with it.  It fits perfectly and it was fun to make.  I made this one in a really soft dot chambray.

When I finished, I decided to make some summer dresses.  Work is REALLY hot in the fall (no air-conditioning) and dresses are a huge part of my wardrobe.  My first dress was a Lisette pattern .  I LOVE the pleats in the front.  This is a red chambray which sewed up very nicely.

Then I made an Everyday Skirt.  I have used this pattern before and I knew I would like it.  I wear my first Everyday Skirt so much I thought a second would be useful!  I used chambray. . . again. The photo is terrible but you get the idea. I don't aspire to be a professional blogger!

Then I made two Lisette Round Trip dresses.  The first is made with Cotton and Steel fabric.  I hesitated to use a quilting cotton for a garment, but I loved the print so much I decided to give it a try. Excuse my facial expression.  My 7 yr old takes my pictures!

Then I made another in grey linen.  This time I switched the invisible zipper for an exposed zipper.

I have many more garments planned.  I have cut a couple of zippy tops (the full length version) and I just bought the Beatrix pattern.  I have some beautiful linen and double gauze I can't wait to work with!

Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Skirting the Issue skirts 3 and 4

These two skirts are size 5/6.  They are also cotton with lace trim.  All will be mailed out for donation later this week.

Skirting the Issue Skirt #2

This is my second skirt to donate - a cute cotton print

Skirting the Issue Donations

I just finished my skirts for Skirting the Issue.  I made three for little girls and one for an older girl.

This first one is a dark blue cord skirt with darts for shaping and an invisible zipper in the back.  It is a Juniors 11/13.

Sunday, 29 June 2014

Ruby Dress

I decided to give Made By Rae's Ruby dress a try.  From Rae's blog posts,  have determined that she and I have similar proportions so since it worked for her, I figured it would work for me.

The first one I made was in regular old woven cotton.  I knew it was not the best choice for a dress since quilting cotton doesn't have great drape but I have had this piece of fabric in my stash FOREVER and I love the print.  I decided it was time to use it up.  I was a little short on fabric so I added a band at the bottom.  I also added a little to the length.  I am about 5'9" and I am teacher - I wanted to be able to wear this to work. These photos stink because I took them while learning to use the timer on my camera.

Even though the fabric choice was not ideal, I love the dress. I was actually really surprised that I like it so much.  When I saw the the gathering is ABOVE the fullest part of the bust I wondered how it could be flattering but it is!  I know some people are adding belts to this dress but I have never been able to getting into the cinching style; it just doesn't do it for me.

For my next Ruby, I decided to use a geometric print ponte de roma fabric.  I used stretch black denim that I had leftover from a pencil skirt I made for the top part.  I added a few inched to the length.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress.  The only issue I have with this dress is that I used store-bought bias tape.  It is a little stiff and it makes the neckline gap a little.  I would love to make my own more often and I even have the little bias tape maker to use with my iron but I rarely have the time to do anything that requires an iron.

I have three more Ruby dresses planned.  The dress is a quick project and I highly recommend giving it a go.

Saturday, 22 March 2014

Hide and Seek Dress

I made the Oliver and S Hide and Seek dress for Maya.  I really love it.  I read a few reviews before I started so I was prepared for the fact that it has a lot of pieces and that seam finishes would be an important part of this dress.  I see so many possibilities for other dresses from this pattern!

Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Winter Knits

The cold and snow this winter has put me in the mood to knit.  Here are a few of my projects:

This is the Knit Night hat from Ravelry.  The only change I made was that I decreased to the band at the bottom by row (by accident- I was knitting while following the kids).  I love the hat and the pattern.

This is the Honey Cowl (short version). I made the longer version a couple of years ago but I wanted a cowl in the same grey as the hat I made.

These are Spate fingerless gloves.  I participated in the Journey Knit Along on Ravelry.

All of these projects were knit with Cascade 220 superwash in Silver Grey.