Sunday 20 October 2013

Liesl + Co Everyday Skirt


I had a feeling I was going to like this skirt when I saw the Liesl + Co Everyday Skirt pattern.  I tend to buy fitted skirts because I feel like full skirts add too much bulk to my hips but the way this pattern is constructed prevents that.  There is gathering in the front (attached to a flat waistband) and gathering in the back (with elastic so no closures are needed), but the side panels are flat.  Also, there are pockets and I love pockets!  I was determined not to buy new fabric until I knew if I liked the pattern so I made my first version from this quilting cotton I had in my stash.  I think the print and color say "fall".  


 The side view.  See the pockets and the flat front waistband?
 Pockets!
 And then my hair elastic fell out so I called it quits.
I am definitely making more skirts with this pattern.  I have some charcoal chambray on the way and I am hoping to make one in lightweight cord as well.  I made the medium this first time but I might try the small next time.  I had to gather the elastic quite a bit in the back and with cord, I don't want it to end up too bulky.  If you are looking to start sewing some wardrobe basics for yourself, I recommend giving this one a try.   If you have sewn a few simple projects and you are relatively comfortable with your machine, you will have no trouble with the directions.

1 comment:

  1. The skirt looks great with those boots. It looks great, period. Corduroy would be amazing.

    (I'm not a sewer [I came from your autism blog] but I sewed a little when I was a teenager. This weekend my daughter had bought corduroy culottes at a thrift store and asked if they could be made into a skirt. It turned out they could. That's the limit of my current sewing).

    ReplyDelete