Friday 3 July 2015

Selfish Sewing

I didn't sew much this past year.  I won't re-state my home situation other than to say it can be completely exhausting.  Also, I took on a part-time job in addition to my full-time teaching job because i needed to buy a new, used car.

I volunteered as an independent study teacher at work this past school year.  I worked with a wonderfully creative student who is headed off to FIT in the fall to study fashion design.  Though she was brilliant at the artistic initial stages of fashion design, she had very limited sewing experience.  She worked with me after school to learn sewing and to create a couple of costumes based on YA novels she read. Each time I worked with her, I got the itch to start sewing more seriously again.  I decided to start sewing more for myself.

I started with the Liesl and Co Gallery Dress.  I thought it looked like a great piece for fall!  I made the 8 and I am thrilled with it.  It fits perfectly and it was fun to make.  I made this one in a really soft dot chambray.




When I finished, I decided to make some summer dresses.  Work is REALLY hot in the fall (no air-conditioning) and dresses are a huge part of my wardrobe.  My first dress was a Lisette pattern .  I LOVE the pleats in the front.  This is a red chambray which sewed up very nicely.

Then I made an Everyday Skirt.  I have used this pattern before and I knew I would like it.  I wear my first Everyday Skirt so much I thought a second would be useful!  I used chambray. . . again. The photo is terrible but you get the idea. I don't aspire to be a professional blogger!


Then I made two Lisette Round Trip dresses.  The first is made with Cotton and Steel fabric.  I hesitated to use a quilting cotton for a garment, but I loved the print so much I decided to give it a try. Excuse my facial expression.  My 7 yr old takes my pictures!

Then I made another in grey linen.  This time I switched the invisible zipper for an exposed zipper.





I have many more garments planned.  I have cut a couple of zippy tops (the full length version) and I just bought the Beatrix pattern.  I have some beautiful linen and double gauze I can't wait to work with!

No comments:

Post a Comment